I decided to try out the McDonald's in India for lunch today (M went along with it, rolling his eyes). You may or may not know that McD's has proclaimed that their menu the world over is the same, except for in India. Seeing as beef is a big religious no-no for Hindus, and pork for Muslims, their menu here is half vegetarian, half chicken items. There was even a sign saying "no beef or beef products sold here." Another sign said "no photography" so unfortunately, I couldn't take any pics.
The menu was quite varied and I didn't know what to try, so I asked a random girl sitting nearby what she was eating, and ordered that. It was a McAloo Tikki Burger, which is a patty of potatoes and peas with spices, an orange sauce (Tikki), and tomatoes, on a bun. It was quite good. M got the McVeggie Burger, which was covered in mayo and lettuce, and was ok. It was like the veggie burger they serve in the US. We also got fries (they were the same), Coke (which tastes different in India due to containing sugar vs. corn syrup in the US), and soft serve sundaes (also quite similar in taste). Sounds like a lot of food until you factor in that portions here are MUCH smaller (they're regular in size, vs. the jumbo giant portions Americans expect), so we ate all that and were satisfied (not stuffed). We got all that for under 300 Rupees (exchange rate of ~39 Rps = $1)!
American readers will also be interested to know that McD's delivers here! Yep, you can get home delivery of McDonald's! The particular location we went to was packed, and the few other times we've walked by other locations, they've been packed too, and with locals, not tourists. Granted, McD's isn't at every street corner here, but it's quite a hit. I'm thinking of writing them to ask them to serve the Indian menu in at least certain locations in certain big cities. I was that impressed!
1 comment:
mmm ... I would love an "Indian" version of McDonalds :)
Post a Comment