"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well" - Diane Ackerman
Feb 25, 2009
Dubai Day 3
We went to the waterfront part, Jumeirah, and started out at the big mosque there. We also got to see the Burj Al Arab, the sailboat-shaped hotel that has become synonymous with Dubai. We had heard that you could pay to have tea there in order to see the inside, but turns out the place was too crowded even when charging 200 Dhs. (approx. $50+) per person, so they put an end to it. Then we want to a modern, Venice-like souk, which was rather overpriced and lacked all of the color and charm of the local, traditional souks. The building itself however was gorgeous! After lunch, we went to the beach and spent a few hours getting some sun, enjoying the white sands and turquoise waters of the Persian Gulf. I failed to mention in a previous blog that I did check out, albeit very briefly, the beach and ocean in Muscat, which was the Arabian Sea. It was quite different (darker sand and water was clear at the beach and turned bluer as it got deeper) which is neat considering the two bodies of water are right next to each other. Getting back to the hotel after the beach turned into quite the ordeal. We tried to hail a taxi for over an hour to no avail! We finally hopped on a bus that wasn't even headed exactly where we needed to go in order to just get closer to our destination. We then walked about 20 min. to get to our hotel. Have I mentioned we're walking a LOT here? I'm getting way more than those 10,000 steps they recommend. We changed and then went to dinner nearby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment