Dec 26, 2011

Xmas 2011

Growing up in the U.S. since the age of 10 meant Xmas mornings at our house looked very similar to many other homes in the West... getting up very early and opening lots of presents!  My brother and I never did believe in Santa, having grown up in India with different traditions during the time when most kids believe in him, nor do we have a single picture with the bearded man (at least I don't think so).  It only struck me as odd once I was an adult that we celebrate Xmas and only because I started getting questions from others about whether we did and puzzled looks from some (due to my Eastern heritage) when I told them yes.  I should clarify and say we certainly celebrate the present-giving-family-time-decorating-the-house aspects of the holiday.  Xmas as a married woman wasn't that different in terms of aforementioned traditions... heck, I got a lot more presents due to having two sides of the family, although both sets of parents always "threatened" to tone down the Xmas-time giving!  Xmas as a parent however is VERY different.  And like so many other aspects of my life, I don't know how much changed due to becoming a mother versus due to joining the Foreign Service.  Both last year and this year, we received a gift or two from each set of parents and mostly gift cards at that.  It's hard to buy for someone far away, and well, we are definitely trying to accumulate less (and purge more) so we don't need anything.  Heck, M and I didn't even get each other presents this time.  We tend to buy what we need/want when we need/want it, and we have a couple of ideas of big-ish (yes, I made up that word... to mean not big like TV big, but not small, like sweater small) ticket items that we are pondering and may order in January.  However, the best part of Xmas this year, and probably going forward, is seeing the delight on S's face as he opened his various presents.  I do hope to keep in check how much he gets every Xmas (kids don't need a lot of stuff, but sadly it takes effort to keep the stuff out of your home), and I think this year was fairly reasonable.  He's at that age where he's ready for the next set of toys from a development perspective.  Sure, the grandparents got him an extra thing or two, but I'm rather happy with his new trike, Legos, and a little barn set.  M and I also have taken to heart just how fortunate we are, and we embrace the notion of "to whom much is given, much is required," which means we have become a lot more focused on giving.  Who knew in all those years when I was so happy to receive, that the day would come when I would be so happy to give (to S, to others, and to the community) and simply to watch my child receive?

No comments: