Nov 9, 2007

Diwali & New Year

I miss celebrating Diwali and the New Year in India. It's just not the same here. I haven't given this much thought in previous years, but since I'm going to be in India in about 4 weeks, it's on my mind.

Diwali (aka Festival of Lights) and the Indian New Year (based on the lunar calendar for those who may not know) are tomorrow and Saturday, respectively. We may go to the temple tomorrow evening and get to enjoy the festivities and fireworks, and socialize. We're definitely going on Saturday morning for the prayer, and then it's a tradition to go to my Aunt's house right after, and then on to my parents. We eat a lot of food that we typically don't eat that early in the morning and we celebrate. We also get on the phone with relatives near and far to wish them Happy Diwali & New Year! That's about the extent of it.

Can you imagine if X-mas were to go down like that, in the same quiet, nondescript manner? I'm not saying that I want the commercialization that surely accompanies Diwali in India these days. I just miss the excitement building up, miss all the food being made (I must confess that I don't know how to make any of the things we eat during these holidays, but my Mom makes it and shares!), the candles that are lit everywhere, etc.

I will have to consider going to India in the future during this time just so I can remember what it's like to celebrate these holidays in a country where they mean something to the majority of the people. I'll have to ask M if he feels the same about spending X-mas in India this year. The difference is that the commercialization of X-mas reached India even when I was last there in 2000, so I don't want to think about how bad it is now... so although it won't be the same for him in terms of having his family around and doing the traditions he's used to, I wonder if it's better than having an important holiday go unnoticed.

No comments: