Dec 30, 2007

Back in A'bad

We got back to Ahmedabad at 8a and took a taxi home. It was so nice for both of us to be at my Uncle's home and see my family again. We had chai and relaxed and told them about our adventures. My friend Niyatee (the one who lives in Bangalore and I did not get to see while there) called to say that she was flying out later that day, so we got dressed and went to visit her. I'm so glad we were able to see one another, and for M to meet her. I also got to see her parents, and it was interesting to note that I remembered the last part of the directions to her house (I remember the strangest things about my years here). Niyatee and I decided to drive over to our old school, and it was awesome to see it again, and show it to M. Some of it has changed but enough of it has not.

We came back home, ate lunch with the family, and took a much needed nap (having gotten up at 2:30a). The nap was not long enough, but seeing as we fly out in a week, we're running out of time to go places and see people, so sleep is overrated now.

We went to my Dad's oldest brother's house, had a quick snack, and then went to the house of one of my Mom's cousins for dinner. Saw quite a few people there and it was nice to catch up with everyone. We had dinner on the terrace of their house, which in India means the top floor of their flat (i.e. apartment) building. Terraces are open areas with walls (to keep people from falling off). It was a nice, cool night and we could see stars even though we're in the city.

My 11 year-old cousin who is here from the US was sick, very much the way I was, so we asked that same doc to make a house call. I hope that she will recover as quickly as I did.

We came home and I sat around with the family telling jokes/stories and drinking beer until about 1-something a.m. M decided to head to bed as he was still recovering from our lack of sleep the night before. Being back at my Uncle's house in A'bad is the part we looked forward to the most when traveling!

No comments: