I forgot to tell you about a cute moment that happened in New Delhi involving M. We were at the Qutb Minar, a historical site, when I saw that he was being approached by a group (I was just a few feet away). I understand Hindi, so I knew that one of the girls said "no, not with her" meaning me. Right after that, a person went up to him to ask him if he would pose for a picture with him. They used gestures as I guess they didn't speak English. He wasn't sure what they wanted, so he looked at me and I told him to go ahead and pose for a picture with them. Seeing as we get approached a lot, we're always wary of what people want, but I knew this was harmless. I realized that the group did not want me in the picture too, which I did not mind, so I went to take a picture of them posing with him. The person taking their pic however, asked me to get in the picture, so now I don't have a picture of this event. I could tell that the "photographer" wanted one too with him, with someone else taking it, but then they decide to ask another person. They thanked us both and walked away.
M was a little perplexed as to what had just happened, but I thought it was rather cute. We have 1 of 3 guesses as to why they wanted a pic with him- 1. they were from a small town, had never seen a white person, and thought he looked friendly enough to approach to capture the moment, and show their friends back home or 2. they thought he looked like a famous person and wanted to capture that (he's been told a couple of times he looks like Roger Federer, although we both disagree with that) or 3. they were in some "photo scavenger hunt" and needed a picture with a foreigner as one of the activities.
Anyway, we'll remember this as one of those cute moments in our trip, and again, the only time we were approached without it being a hassle.
No comments:
Post a Comment