Dec 31, 2007

Dec 30

We're disappointed to realize that we fly out next Saturday, and wish we had more time here. M says we should extend our trip by a week but we know that's not really do-able. I think we learned that in future trips, if we do decide to travel while here, we should only be gone for 5 days or so, not more. The part I relish the most about my visits to India is time with my extended family; I'm happy to note that M feels the same way, and being gone does not allow for that.

We got up rather late today, which I'm sure we won't be able to do the rest of the days here. I went with my bro and parents to see the Gandhi Ashram here. Gandhi was born in Gujarat (state) and spent a few years in A'bad before moving on, and he built a center here which my bro wanted to see. M had enough of sightseeing and did not join us. It was a quick visit as it's a simple place. It's not nearly what I remember it being when I went with my grandmother when I still lived here.

We came home to find M happily eating lunch with the rest of the family. I love how nicely he is getting along with my family, and how easily they have embraced him. I took a short nap and then we went to a couple of stores for a little shopping. We're now killing some time at home, and are about to head out for dinner with my cousins. The older folks (my parents and his brothers and their wives) went off on their own tonight. Sunday is the big day of rest and relaxation here and everything, from malls to restaurants, are PACKED! People here work on Saturday, and most kids also have school (1/2 day or more) on that day, so Sunday is really the only day off.

I'm sure it'll be another late night, but these are what our memories in India are made of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

N, I've enjoyed reading about your travels - look forward to seeing you when you return - hopefully the time will go by slowly from here on out.... Melissa J.