Jan 4, 2008

New Year Day

I was surprised to learn that offices are open today, and many schools are too. My little cousin's school was still closed from before X-mas, although today was the last day of vacation. My cousins and Uncle own their own businesses, so it was up to them whether they made it to work, which they did not! It was a late night for all of us, so we took it easy and did not do much.

Around 10:30a here it was midnight in the US, so Happy New Year! We saw pics of the Sydney Opera House and its New Year's Eve festivities in the paper here. My cousin commented that every year they do show a pic of Times Square and we were wondering why it wasn't in the paper. We realized a second later that it was only midnight there just then, while we were eating breakfast, so of course it wasn't in the papers yet!

About 11 of us went to a mall in the evening, just to walk around and do a little shopping. Came home in time to eat dinner, and then the 5 of us + my Aunt got dropped off at the bus stop.

We were headed to a temple about 6 hours away, one that is important to our family. We had decided to take a luxury bus at night, instead of renting a car, because I felt safer that way. I really dislike watching Indian traffic/drivers on the highways, and I feel most comfortable in a big vehicle at a time when I can sleep on the way. We left A'bad at 9:30p and arrived at our destination at 4:00a.

No comments: