Dec 31, 2010

Reflecting on 2010

One year ago today, I was at the end of my first trimester of pregnancy, and we attended a New Year's Eve party with many of our closest friends in CLT. Three women, with whom I've been friends since we were 13-14 years old, were also expecting. Going through pregnancy and preparing for the arrival of our babies with 3 close friends was a unique and fun experience, to say the least! I was also "holding my breath" to successfully finish the process and be offered a position with the State Department. In March, I got the email I had been waiting for and accepted my dream job... I was going to be a Foreign Service Officer! M and I celebrated 7 years of marriage with a weekend trip to Wilmington, NC in April. Also in April, I resigned from my 8-year career in banking, and moved to the Washington, DC area in May to begin orientation and training for the new job. We enjoyed a couple of months of urban living (walking to nearby places to eat, taking the Metro, checking out historic sites) as much as one can in the heat of the summer and while 8-9 months pregnant! We welcomed our precious baby boy S in July, and spent the next 8 weeks in a sleepless blur of diapers and feedings. S was the last to arrive among his friends, the babies of my friends who were also expecting, as they were all born within 32 days of each other! Oh, and less than 1 week after S's birth, I celebrated my 30th birthday, if one can call remembering what day it was as celebrating! I returned to work (=more training) in September, and we moved to our first post of Bridgetown, Barbados in late October/early November. The last 2 months have been a mix of settling into our new home and catching our breath.

For both M and me, 2010 will be a year we will never forget. And here is hoping for a much calmer 2011!

No comments: