Feb 7, 2011

A (football) season gone by

I am writing this during Super Bowl XLV, so that ought to tell you how much I am paying attention to the big game. I was fairly excited about getting to watch it today, but similar to how the rest of the season has been, I have not actually been able to watch it.

Between having an infant to care for, and moving to another country, I have not been able to watch a single football game this season... not even bits of one! When S was 10-11 weeks old, I had the opportunity to go watch a live Panthers game with my brother who had awesome, 2nd row seats this season. Being a new mom, I couldn't get past my concern over nursing/pumping and leaving my little one (albeit with grandparents), so I passed. Mind you, hubby took advantage of these same awesome seats with bro when baby was only 5 weeks old! Between taking care of baby and all the zillion details related to moving, I never watched a game when we were in the U.S. After moving to Barbados, we did not have cable for 1+ month, in spite of our efforts. The plan we chose to go with did not in fact include the channel(s) on which NFL games were shown. That plan was more expensive, and frankly, we never had more than basic cable in the U.S. so we weren't too interested in paying for a bunch of channels here. We just wanted more than the 1 local channel we were getting when without cable. And that's how the rest of the NFL season went by...

So, I was fairly excited to learn that we would be able to watch the Super Bowl on ESPN International, as it broadcasts it in hundreds of countries. Imagine my dismay when, close to the start of the game, I discovered that we would not get to see any Super Bowl commercials. What fun is that?! You know you are watching ESPN International when the ads during Super Bowl are for tennis tournaments and La Liga (Spanish football, you know, football as the rest of the world knows it). Even when the game started, I was making dinner, and after took the baby up for his bedtime. I came back down at the exact moment the halftime show was OVER... ugh! Needless to say, I can't get into the game at this point. But, it sure makes me realize just how much life has changed in the length of a football season.

No comments: