Nov 7, 2011

Our first Marine Ball

Marines are posted at many embassies (and consulates?) around the world to provide security.  To be clear, their role is to protect the information held inside the buildings (and not us, the people), and they are a very integral part of the Embassy community.  The Marine Ball is held in many locations worldwide to celebrate the U.S. Marine Corps' birthday, this one being the 236th.  M and I decided we would try to attend at least one Marine Ball at each post we serve that holds them.  We missed last year's due to having arrived only two weeks prior with neither a childcare option nor the mental energy to contemplate attending a formal event so soon.  And who knows what next year will bring?  Although the dress code is technically formal, at least at our Post they relax it where women can wear short dresses and men can wear suits.  M wore a suit, and I decided to wear a black sari.  I still don't know what got into me in terms of the sari.  Not too long ago, if my mother had suggested I wear Indian clothes to such an affair, I would have scoffed at the notion and gone shopping for a new dress.  I had the opportunity and the budget to buy a new dress but simply decided I would opt for wearing a sari since I rarely get the chance to do so these days.  Plus, it is an American event... what better way to showcase America's diversity?  Anyway, I did not feel at all out of place and got quite a few compliments :)  It doesn't mean I will do the same at future balls, because after all, it's a great excuse to buy a new dress! 

We left S in the capable hands of his regular nanny, and were sent off with his smiling face waving "bye bye."  That's exactly how I like to start an evening out with my hubby!  In a nutshell: the drinks were free-flowing, the food was so-so, the dessert bar was delicious, the music had its ups and downs, and what made the evening terrific was the wonderful company.  We don't get out much (by choice) without the little one, so when we do, it is nice to have a successful evening like this one.

No comments: