S is close to the 19 month mark, and I need a little more time to catch up to how fast he is growing up. In no particular order, here is what S is up to these days...
He LOVES music and loves to dance. Every morning he must listen to music after coming downstairs, and lest you forget, he will be sure to point that out using some combination of pointing and grunting. M has even labeled a playlist on our iPad, "The Morning Jam." If the iPad is within reach, the kid will press play on the music on his own. He learned how to do that many months ago, just from watching us do it. Get him anywhere near music or even a beat and he starts bouncing, bopping his head, and if really into it, has both hands up in the air. He even shakes his hips sometimes, which prompted a friend to think he has Bollywood in his blood!
He wants to do everything himself. He no longer wants us to put food in his mouth, he wants to do so with his own fingers. He wants to put on his own sandals. He would rather walk than be held at times. If he were tall enough, he would climb into the bathtub himself, as he already tries to do. After he does things himself, like put a spoonful of food in his mouth, he claps... every time!
He wants to go outside a lot, and will put on his sandals and sunglasses and come get you. About a week ago at the park, after watching all the big kids do all kinds of things, he climbed up the shortest slide on his own while I was chatting with a neighbor. That wasn't enough because a couple of days ago, he decided to climb up the biggest slide with assistance from Daddy. He then sat patiently at the top observing the other kids and finally decided to come down the long tunnel slide. Although I wish I had been there to see it, I'm glad M was there instead because I probably would not have let him try such things.
He is growing up so fast and frankly, I need to let him. I tend to be the overprotective mama bear who wants to hold him close and keep him from doing things in which he might get hurt. But I'm trying to take my cues from M who is far better at letting S be a boy while keeping him reasonably safe. I am so used to referring to my family as "hubby and baby" when discussing them with others. I have consciously had to make a shift to stop saying "baby" and instead use his name, or say "my little one" or "my little boy." I know he will always be my baby. But it would be ridiculous if I kept referring to him as such in public the rest of his life! Now I better go see what he's been up to while I've been writing this...
No comments:
Post a Comment