Apr 5, 2012

March Madness (not of the sports kind)

So sorry my friends for being gone so long... is anyone out there still reading? 

March was absolutely mad (the British meaning of the word = crazy, and not the American meaning of the word = angry) around here!  M and I went ziplining here in B'dos the first Saturday in March with a big group of friends.  It was so much fun, and I wish we had known beforehand that we could go through the course again for a nominal fee so we could have all made time for it.  We didn't have time that day because S and I were both getting haircuts.  It sounds cute, but I just do it out of convenience.  Plus, I tend to get sick of how long  my hair has gotten around the same time that I am sick of how his hair is in/near his eyes.  Then, the very next day, our little family flew to Dominica (please google it because I do not mean the Dominican Republic) for 4 days.  It was a combined work-pleasure trip.  We did a bit of sightseeing after arriving early in the morning on Sunday, and then I did a bunch of work things the other 3 days.  It was a nice change of pace, and Dominica is absolutely beautiful!  I was very nervous about going because the roads are very curvy due to the island being very mountainous and I get car sick very easily... but a little bit of planning ahead and a great taxi driver meant I was fine.  While I prefer not to talk about work on this blog, I am happy to share that a small portion of what I did in Dominica was featured on one of their online news sites! Our sightseeing pics are on our Flickr page.

We came home with just enough days (2.5 to be exact) to get ready to welcome M's parents who were going to be with us for two weeks.  It was fun to play tourist with them and do some things we hadn't yet done here.  M took a week off to enjoy their company.  Most of all, they really enjoyed spending a lot of quality time with S -- they took him on multiple walks each day, read to him, made puzzles with him, taught him new things, and spoiled him in the way only grandparents can.  He not only took to them right away (I credit weekly Skype dates for that), they made a lasting impression on him.  He pointed to the guest room door for a week after they left, and did it even today.  He also says "mmmm" like his grandfather did with him whenever eating something tasty.  So cute.

Did I mention that upon returning from Dominica and while M's parents were here, I took on a new role at work?  And like anything new, there is an adjustment period and everything seems to take longer as you learn the ropes.  The usual challenges of doing something new were compounded by being short staffed with heavy demand and a backlog, etc. etc.  It was tiring to go, go, go all day at work and then come home and make dinner, etc. and make sure our visitors were well taken care of and we enjoyed family time together.  They didn't put any pressure on me, but I do such a good job of that on my own!  Amidst all this, an overnight work trip popped up and I flew off to St. Kitts for some meetings.  While it was nice to get stamps in my passport from TWO different countries in one month, I would have preferred to do it under different circumstances! 

It's no surprise then that all of this left no room in my life for March Madness of the sports kind!

No comments: