Sep 22, 2013

August: Movie, Pre-school, A'bad

While it's true that time flies when you're having fun, I think most of us agree that time flies, period!  My refrain since I've moved to Mumbai is that I don't have time. But perhaps I should re-phrase that to say I don't have the energy.  If I take a closer look at how I spend my days, there are pockets of time to check Facebook (hadn't been on it in weeks until recently), or upload pics to Flickr (haven't done so in MONTHS), or to do any number of the other things on my to-do list. At the end of the day, when faced with a choice between reading a few pages of a book/magazine or going to sleep, and getting on the computer, I regularly opt for the former.  I talk to a LOT of people every day as part of my job.  Only now am I realizing how draining that is. 

August went by in a blur of enjoying normal work hours after a very busy July, and adjusting to a new routine with S starting pre-school.  M and I took advantage of a holiday, and went on a morning movie-date to see the big Eid release Chennai Express.  It's neither thought-provoking nor award-worthy, but it sure was fun.  I just don't make it to the movies often anymore, so when I do, I enjoy it.  Hindi movies shown in India don't have English subtitles, but M had fun too.  And to top it off?  Upon exiting the theater, we were interviewed by a reporter from The Times of India about what we thought of the movie, and our names and comments showed up in the Mumbai Mirror section the next day!  I will (eventually) post a pic of that newspaper blurb.  

A few days later, S started pre-school. We prepped him by talking to him about it frequently in the days leading up to it. We also took him shopping to pick out a new lunch (well, snack) box and water bottle.  I went to work a couple of hours late his first two days, just so I could be there for my baby starting pre-school. It was an adjustment, but nothing too dramatic, and a month+ into it, it's obvious he really enjoys it.  Per S's request, M had to wait in the lobby for about 15-20 extra minutes for a few days after school started.  But even that's ended now.  S is already showing signs that he is a product of two very independent people by being very independent himself!  I will do well to remember that over the coming years...

We decided to go to Ahmedabad for a long weekend, to spend time with family and relax.  It wasn't the same as my cousin/niece was hospitalized due to dengue, but we still managed to have some fun.  I spent some of my energy worrying about her, some of it worrying about whether one of us would get bit by a dengue-carrying mosquito, and some of it trying to manage family expectations for us to come visit them.  My niece has fully recovered.  We did not get dengue, although those mosquitoes are not limited to any one particular place, and the only thing you can do is use insect repellant regularly.  The challenge of balancing relatives' expectations for us to visit and/or call with lack of time/energy will continue I think for the entire time we live here.  Wish me luck.  The Indian holiday of Raksha Bandhan took on a different tone this year.  I mailed a rakhi to my brother (who I typically see in person for this occasion), and got to tie rakhis in person to a few of my cousin brothers here, which was nice.  

That was August, and here I am telling you about it when September is almost over.  Guess I better start writing about September! 

No comments: