September in Mumbai means Ganesh Chathurthi and 10 days of celebrations
around the worship of the elephant God who removes obstacles. To be
frank, I had never heard of this holiday before arriving in Mumbai.
Sure, I grew up praying to Ganesh before starting anything new, but I
had no idea there was an entire annual holiday that is celebrated with
such fanfare. I take so much of life in Mumbai for granted, perhaps
because I grew up seeing a lot of it, that I have to remind myself to
take my camera with me to capture some of these interesting moments.
Until I do a better job at this, go to Google images and type "Ganesh
Chathurthi Mumbai 2013" - that will give you an idea of what it's like.
It was really neat to take part in the celebrations by going to see and
pray at the HUGE idols that were around every street corner (sponsored
by building associations, corporations, politicians, you name it), or
the smaller idols in people's homes. The festival culminates in long
street parades with immersion of the idols in a body of water. The
holiday was never celebrated in Gujarat, which is why I had never heard
of it, but people have embraced it there too in the past few years.
This was something new, different and fun for us, and while we enjoyed
it, I have to admit that the (extra) crowds, traffic and noise that are
part of the festival season are something I can do without.
In the middle of the month, I also traveled to Ahmedabad
for work purposes. (One day soon I will travel to a different
destination!) I was excited about helping organize some work activities
in the city where I was born. I mean, really, where else is it
possible but in the United States for an immigrant like myself to
represent the country as its diplomat? It was great to use my language
skills and cultural knowledge to further U.S. diplomacy. S did not
necessarily understand why I was away for 3 days, and was sad and
teary-eyed when we spoke on the phone... maybe for Mommy's benefit, I
sometimes wonder. However, he is absolutely no worse for the wear and
within a day or so, he had completely forgotten I was ever gone.
The rest of September was a blur. S was off from
school for a week and a half; I called it his Fall Break even though
there is no Fall here. We passed around some type of cold/virus within
the family, but thankfully none of us had it very long. We focused on
some interior decorating in the house (something I'm not sure I have
ever spent much time or energy on) in order to get it ready for my
parents and relatives who will be visiting in October, and because it
will be Diwali, and because we can. October will be busy. Stay
tuned...
No comments:
Post a Comment