Apr 11, 2008

Volunteering for Obama Campaign

I signed up to go to the Obama campaign office in Charlotte to register people to vote in NC before the deadline on 4/11. I arrived there yesterday a little before my scheduled "shift" not knowing what to expect since I had never been to a campaign office before. It was pretty crazy, with signs and posters everywhere, people fervently going about their tasks, and paper and phones everywhere. It also looked like the place to be that afternoon! Apparently, I was not going to be wandering the streets looking to register people to vote, as I'd expected. In fact, they had a sign outside the office directing people to come in to register, and they had great results. Since I did not have a laptop (I didn't know to bring one), I was asked to make phone calls to get more volunteers to come in and help. The people with laptops were entering the new voter registration data onto wherever it needed to be entered. Seeing as cold-calling/prospecting is what I do lately at work, calling a bunch of people who had in some manner expressed support for Obama was not cause for worry. I went through 100+ names in my 3 hours there, and signed up about 5-7 people to come in to volunteer. There were plenty I did not reach, and a few who did not have time to volunteer, but all were friendly and eager to know why "Obama for America" was calling their house (that's what showed up on their caller ID). I even reached a lady who said she was a Clinton supporter (I thanked her for her time and ended the call). I got to talk to a couple of people about how they got involved with the campaign, which was pretty cool (1 was a retiree who moved here from OH and was starting an internship with the campaign for high school kids; another was someone my age who was actually getting paid by the campaign). All in all, this experience makes me want to get more involved... I may even go canvassing. And it has certainly given me more ideas for what to do with my time when I retire!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good for you! I've yet to decide whom shall get my vote this year...