Do you remember the frog that was on many episodes of Ally McBeal? I used to have to cover my eyes until I knew he was gone. Yes, I have a phobia of frogs and lizards. The frog thing I can't really explain... I just know I can't look at them live or in pictures. I used to read to a class of kindergarten kids, and both years I did that, I did not read the book on tree frogs; I just donated them to the classroom and asked their teacher to read to them, because I couldn't handle it. Nor could I figure out why there had to be a book on tree frogs each year, but that's besides the point...
The lizard thing I can explain. Growing up in India, houses aren't sealed like they are here and windows (that don't have screens) are kept open often, so all kinds of creatures can get into your house. Our living room wall, under the tube light, was always covered with a bunch of lizards scurrying around. I don't recall that they bothered me much then, but they certainly do now. Can't stand the things! Not even the ones that everyone wants to take pictures of in Aruba and the rest of the Caribbean. So, imagine when I come home one day recently, pause to put the carryout pizza box on the patio furniture table outside, talk to M about a few things, and THEN notice a green lizard within 2 inches of the pizza box. I SCREAMED! M thought I knew it was there because it had been there the whole time! He was surprised I was being so calm about the whole thing as I stood there talking to him. I really had not noticed it, and burst into tears after screaming. Anyway... his reaction , after consoling me, was that I need to learn to face my fears; mine is to admit to myself that I really do have this phobia, and to stay away from lizards (and frogs, for good measure). Ugh - gives me the chills just to type this!
No comments:
Post a Comment