Sep 27, 2008

Oh, the drama (& uncertainty)...

Have you noticed life is no longer simple? Not that I am a big fan of simple, mind you, but lately things have gotten out of control even for me. The world is changing at such a rapid pace that one can hardly absorb the news before it changes again. Maybe that's only in the financial services industry, and since I work in it, it's not just a headline but my livelihood. It's yet another weekend where I'm watching the news to see what else unfolds, including for my own company.

Meanwhile, I had to get gas on Tues evening as I was close to E, and I actually had to wait in line. Full disclosure that it ended up being only a 10 min wait (I heard stories that were much worse), but all I can think is: if people had to do this in the 70s, how come I'm having to do it again 30 years later? Why haven't we made progress on this front by now? Yes, I know. The answer to that question would take up a thesis, not a blog post, but I have to ask...

I watched the Presidential Debate last night, and it was my first one. Surprising, given that as politically inclined/engaged/involved as I am, I haven't watched debates before. I make up my mind long before the debates, so I used to think they'd be painful to watch. After watching one, I now think it's like watching sports, and you cheer for your team! I also have a new "resolution" (I make them all year), and it's to watch as many things firsthand as possible, so that I have my own opinions and am not reliant on the media's.

It's a good thing my blood pressure is fairly low on the scale, or I'd have issues after the drama and uncertainty of the last couple of weeks!

No comments: