Jan 2, 2009

New Year's Eve

I like how there are built-in times when we can't help but reflect on the past and anticipate the future. New Year's Eve is one of these days, and on 12/31/08, I found myself thinking about where, as in actual location (not figuratively), I was on previous NYEs. Here is a brief listing:

pre-'99: typically at home watching Dick Clark, or in Uptown Charlotte at the old First Night celebrations.
'99: I flew home that evening from study-abroad + travels in Spain, and was asleep at midnight!
'00: I was in NYC, somewhere overlooking Hudson Bay, watching fireworks with parents and bro.
'01-'04: these years are a blur, and M can't recall either; were we out with friends in Uptown Charlotte or did we stay home?
'05: M & I were in NYC with cousins; we have fond memories of walking ~40+ blocks in 20 degree weather, going to see the tree and skaters at Rockefeller Center, walking by St Patrick's Cathedral, seeing the snowflakes light up on the Saks (?) building. Had a wonderful Italian meal at some little restaurant in the Village, and then ended up at some jazz club. We then had the best kati roll around 2 or 3a!
'06: we were in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area to celebrate my recent MBA graduation.
'07: we were in India, at a party at my Uncle's house, surrounded by lots of family, & good food!
'08: we were in Charlotte, at friends' house and then out in Uptown with friends and cousins.

I'm a little sad that I can't remember where we were/what we did for a 4 year period. I'm realizing as I get older that while these memories are special at the time, I am fortunate enough to have lots of good ones and some of them got lost in the brain shuffle. I am trying to do a better job of capturing memories via pictures, writing in a journal or this blog, etc.

No comments: