"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well" - Diane Ackerman
Apr 26, 2009
10 years later...
Many, if not all, of you know that I studied abroad in Spain for part of my Junior year at UNC, and those 4 months were the most wonderful, care-free time in my life. To this day, Seville and Spain hold a special place in my heart. I can't believe nearly 10 years have gone by and I have yet to go back, but "so many places, so little time and $" seems to be the best explanation I have for that. Anyway, many of us in that program became good friends with one of our professors and tour guide, MC, and I had the good fortune of having coffee with her earlier this week, after not having seen her in nearly 10 years! She and I have kept up with another via email, and more recently, via Facebook, which is how she remembered that I live in Charlotte. She has lived in Mexico City for a few years now, for her work specializing in the Aztecs, and she was going to be in Charlotte for a few days for a conference related to her work. It was so good to see her, and it brought back fond memories of my time in Spain. Our meeting was bittersweet though, because while I felt like I made a "new" friend (nothing like an in-person meeting, regardless of the charms of Facebook) due to all that we have in common, I also know it is unlikely our paths will cross again. But, it is a moment worth remembering...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment