Sep 30, 2010

Counting down to Bridgetown

We have about 4.5 weeks left before we depart for Bridgetown, and it is hectic to say the least. Our life presently includes multiple to-do lists and shopping lists. Every day, we come up with something new that we need to think through, buy, do, deal with, etc. I am definitely concerned that something big is going to be forgotten, but I remind myself that it probably isn't big if it can be overlooked. I also keep telling myself that this first move to this first post is going to be full of lessons learned, and it will get easier with time.

Of the 4 weekends we have remaining in the US, we are spending 2 in CLT. The first one will seriously be one huge shopping trip, to acquire things we need from Costco, Target, Indian grocery store, baby store, etc. The idea is to load up on all necessities for the next 2 years (within reason and expiration dates, of course) so that we aren't spending our hard earned money on those items in ridiculously expensive Barbados. Those items will join the rest of our belongings in CLT to be packed and shipped via cargo to Bridgetown. The second weekend, thankfully a long one, will be filled with visits from family and friends, M's 15-year high school reunion dinner, and organizing our home to be packed and shipped. The movers are coming on 10/15, so all of this just has to get done by then.

Our townhouse has been on the market for a few months now with no luck (no surprise either given the general condition of the housing market). So, among other things, we are also in the process of finding a property management company to handle its rental in our absence.

Needless to say, I'm tired. It has been quite the year for us and I'm done! Now I just need to get through the next few weeks...

No comments: