Sep 10, 2010

Returning to work

That much anticipated day finally arrived today, the day I returned to work. I say anticipated and not dreaded simply because that is what it was, since we didn't know how it would transpire. Plus, when you have turned your life upside down for a new job, for this job, the way I have, you know that going to work is just part of life. All I can say is that returning to work to a 'dream' job (the way I feel about joining the Foreign Service) was less hard for me than it would have been returning to a normal job. The other major factor is that my baby was staying home with my hubby! They were both soundly asleep when I left this morning, and it wasn't so bad to tell myself that I had to go do something for a few hours and I would be back soon.

And.... we all did fine. The baby and hubby had a perfectly normal day filled with diaper changes, feedings, and naps (no different than if I had been home). I had a normal day in which I started training for my role in Bridgetown, met new people, ran into old colleagues ('old' being a relative term), and learned a slew of new acronyms! Sure, I am tired and need more sleep. Yes, the baby and I have been inseparable since I got home around 4p. And yes, I'm not sure how I'm going to manage all of the independent study if I doze off while doing it before 8p as I did today. How then do I have time to post a blog entry, you ask? Simple... I could be doing some of that reading but I'm not; and the baby is right here in my lap, wiggling and cooing away ;)

It's going to be a while before we get used to this new routine, but for now, we just have to make it work for <2 months (and then we will be in Barbados, doing something different yet again).

No comments: