Summer means even hotter weather than usual, but I hardly notice it since I'm in a too-cold office building all day. When I am out and about on weekends, or enjoying the beach/pool, I just try to soak it in (while ignoring M's moans and groans about the temps here and how will he ever survive in Mumbai!).
Summer also means rainy/hurricane season. It's not constant, and thankfully we have not had any bad storms (crossing fingers and saying a prayer, or two) so far. But they are not kidding. When it rains, it rains a lot. And like most weather, it always comes at the most inconvenient time, i.e. during rush hour traffic, the week you have guests from the U.S., the day of Grand Kadooment (the main, big Carnaval celebration day). This past week, when nothing of that sort has been going on, it hasn't rained at all. Although, I do hear a storm is brewing nearby...
Summer means lots and lots of mangoes... huge, fresh as in picked-straight-from-the-tree-never-seen-a-fridge-fresh, and free thanks to colleagues whose homes have mango trees! The baby loves eating them and I feel like such a good mommy giving it to him. Plus, you should see the smiles on my mother's and grandfather's faces when they hear about the baby eating mangoes galore! It reminds them of India, and they constantly say how blessed he is to be able to enjoy mangoes the way he has the past few months. The fruit will be out of season soon, and I'm trying to figure out just how many I want to stock up on by pureeing and freezing into cubes.
Summer means busy season at work, and that's all I want to say about that. I also transitioned to a different role, and the adjustment is keeping me plenty busy. Summer means baby S and I both celebrated birthdays. He had fun making a mess of the cake. For the record, he did not like cake as he had never had anything so sweet before. Frankly, I'd like to keep it that way. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that he is 1. When did that happen?! Where is the pause button?!
Summer means my brother came to visit for his second trip, this time with two friends. It was wonderful to have him around, and fun to see him play with S. It would have been better if S had not been taken aback by 3 new people and gotten more comfortable sooner with his uncle, but that's okay. Such is life, especially when you live thousands of miles away from family.
You may not like me very much after you read this last bit, but you want to know the best part about summer in Barbados? The honest truth? The best part about summer in Barbados is that it doesn't really end! When everyone else starts to complain about how cold it is wherever they are, I'll still get to wear sleeveless tops and sandals... Lovin' it!
No comments:
Post a Comment