Mar 24, 2008

Obama Town Hall - 03.19.2008

Some thoughts after attending the Obama Town Hall in Charlotte:
  • Walking to get in line, I was asked if I was a dignitary! I think it was because I was wearing a suit, which is what I wear to work. It was funny, and I certainly wished I were a dignitary because it would have prevented me from waiting in a line that snaked around the building.
  • It wasn't so bad/weird to go on my own. I ended up sitting next to someone who was also there alone, and we talked about why we supported Obama and our general concerns about politics/other candidates, etc. This is after I talked to Noy on the phone for 30 minutes, which was awesome because it was the first time we had talked after the baby's arrival.
  • There were a handful of people there that seemed to treat him like a rock star, which was mildly disconcerting to me. There was no need to yell out "I love you, Obama" in a pause during his serious rhetoric. He ended up calling the crowd "rowdy!"
  • I was pleasantly surprised by his sense of humor and his ability to inject humor into a serious discussion.
Overall, his message was consistent with what we have already heard, as to be expected. I was proud to have participated in this moment in history (regardless of your politics, you have to admit the race to be the Democratic nominee is historic), and seriously hope that I can one day claim to have heard our next President speak live.

To hear a snippet from his talk in Charlotte:, visit this link (from Obama's campaign)

No comments: